Ballistic Missiles Being Used to Supplement Airstrikes
With the Syrian government seemingly eager to spread the rebels thinner and thinner by ceding remote areas that were only sparsely defended, they have remained determined to keep hitting those areas after they change hands.
Usually this means air strikes, but with a lot of territory to cover and a lot of rebel targets to hit, the Syrian military has reportedly fired at least six Scud missiles against different targets.
The US is warning that this is a significant new escalation, and also cites the use of barrel bombs, barrels filled with explosives and metal and dropped from attack helicopters as improvised bombs.
But while there is certainly escalation ongoing in the fighting, the shift to ballistic missiles may simply reflect how much bigger the battlefield is getting as the rebels move into the far east, and the regime may simply be pushing their air forces to the limit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria, Islamists Agree to Extend Ceasefire in Disputed Towns - August 27th, 2015
- US Drone Strike Kills Five in Southern Yemen - August 27th, 2015
- ISIS Seizes Territory Intended for US-Turkey 'Safe Zone' in Syria - August 27th, 2015
- Yemen FM Rules Out Talks With Houthis, Demands They Surrender - August 27th, 2015
- ISIS Suicide Bomber Kills Two Iraqi Generals in Anbar - August 27th, 2015