With the Syrian government seemingly eager to spread the rebels thinner and thinner by ceding remote areas that were only sparsely defended, they have remained determined to keep hitting those areas after they change hands.
Usually this means air strikes, but with a lot of territory to cover and a lot of rebel targets to hit, the Syrian military has reportedly fired at least six Scud missiles against different targets.
The US is warning that this is a significant new escalation, and also cites the use of barrel bombs, barrels filled with explosives and metal and dropped from attack helicopters as improvised bombs.
But while there is certainly escalation ongoing in the fighting, the shift to ballistic missiles may simply reflect how much bigger the battlefield is getting as the rebels move into the far east, and the regime may simply be pushing their air forces to the limit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Syrian Air Defenses After Warplanes Come Under Fire - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Threatens to Seize Catalonia as Deadline Looms - October 15th, 2017
- US Reaches ISIS Evacuation Deal From Raqqa - October 15th, 2017
- Trump's Iran Plan Faces Major Resistance in Congress - October 15th, 2017
- US Military Sees Growing Injuries, Deaths, in Non-Combat Situations - October 15th, 2017