Deputy Defense Secretary Insists Special Operations Will Continue to Grow
In a recent speech at Duke University, Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter praised President Obama for ensuring that the budget problems didn’t hinder the Pentagon’s continued spending.
“Obama made sure that we didn’t eat our seed corn,” Carter insisted, adding that the special operations forces budget would continue to grow even if the wars end at some point in the future.
Carter railed against proposed military cuts, insisting that it was “idiotic” and that the whole point of sequestration was to force Congress to never allow it to happen, because of course military spending cuts are unthinkable.
Of course that’s just one of the many avenues of growth the Pentagon has staked out, with officials only a week ago announcing a plan to totally revamp the DIA as a massive intelligence agency capable of rivaling the CIA worldwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdogan: Russian Plane Downed Defending 'Our Brothers in Syria' - November 25th, 2015
- Turkish PM Warns Russia Not to Attack Syrian Turkmens - November 25th, 2015
- Syrian Rebels Make Intensive Use of US Missiles - November 25th, 2015
- Russia Pounds Al-Qaeda Sites in Northern Syria - November 25th, 2015
- Obama to Americans: No Threats Credible Unless I Tell You About Them - November 25th, 2015