Deputy Defense Secretary Insists Special Operations Will Continue to Grow
In a recent speech at Duke University, Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter praised President Obama for ensuring that the budget problems didn’t hinder the Pentagon’s continued spending.
“Obama made sure that we didn’t eat our seed corn,” Carter insisted, adding that the special operations forces budget would continue to grow even if the wars end at some point in the future.
Carter railed against proposed military cuts, insisting that it was “idiotic” and that the whole point of sequestration was to force Congress to never allow it to happen, because of course military spending cuts are unthinkable.
Of course that’s just one of the many avenues of growth the Pentagon has staked out, with officials only a week ago announcing a plan to totally revamp the DIA as a massive intelligence agency capable of rivaling the CIA worldwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Airstrikes Destroy Yemeni Air Force - March 29th, 2015
- Arab League to Create Joint Military Force to Fight Iran - March 29th, 2015
- Saudi Coalition Rejects Diplomacy, Readies Long War in Yemen - March 29th, 2015
- 38 Killed as Yemen's Houthis Clash with Tribesmen in Oil Rich South - March 29th, 2015
- As Iran Deal Nears, Israel Steps Up Efforts to Sabotage It - March 29th, 2015