In a recent speech at Duke University, Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter praised President Obama for ensuring that the budget problems didn’t hinder the Pentagon’s continued spending.
“Obama made sure that we didn’t eat our seed corn,” Carter insisted, adding that the special operations forces budget would continue to grow even if the wars end at some point in the future.
Carter railed against proposed military cuts, insisting that it was “idiotic” and that the whole point of sequestration was to force Congress to never allow it to happen, because of course military spending cuts are unthinkable.
Of course that’s just one of the many avenues of growth the Pentagon has staked out, with officials only a week ago announcing a plan to totally revamp the DIA as a massive intelligence agency capable of rivaling the CIA worldwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017