Deputy Defense Secretary Insists Special Operations Will Continue to Grow
In a recent speech at Duke University, Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter praised President Obama for ensuring that the budget problems didn’t hinder the Pentagon’s continued spending.
“Obama made sure that we didn’t eat our seed corn,” Carter insisted, adding that the special operations forces budget would continue to grow even if the wars end at some point in the future.
Carter railed against proposed military cuts, insisting that it was “idiotic” and that the whole point of sequestration was to force Congress to never allow it to happen, because of course military spending cuts are unthinkable.
Of course that’s just one of the many avenues of growth the Pentagon has staked out, with officials only a week ago announcing a plan to totally revamp the DIA as a massive intelligence agency capable of rivaling the CIA worldwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Investigating Airstrike on Syria Mosque Which Killed 49 Civilians - March 21st, 2017
- Kurdish Infighting Brings Violence Back to Yazidi Heartland in Iraq - March 21st, 2017
- Senate Majority Leader Rejects Trump's Foreign Aid Cuts - March 21st, 2017
- Trump Aides Push for 'Broad Sanctions' Against North Korea - March 21st, 2017
- FBI's Russia Probe Turns Focus on Social Media Bots - March 21st, 2017