Green on blue attacks are still continuing as a major problem in Afghanistan, with two separate incidents over the weekend leaving a British soldier dead and a Spanish soldier lightly wounded.
Though termed “insider attacks” recently, at least one of the attacks appears to have had nothing to do with infiltration, as the Afghan soldier who killed the British soldier opened fire as the result of an argument. It is the 12th British soldier killed this year by Afghan security forces.
That incident was in the Nad-e Ali District of Helmand Province, but another shooting happened in Badghis Province, where a pair of Afghan soldiers attacked a NATO outpost, throwing grenades and firing on soldiers.
Badghis Provincial officials insisted that one of the soldiers involved in the attack was “suffering from mental problems” and he was wounded and detained by the NATO troops after the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018