Green on blue attacks are still continuing as a major problem in Afghanistan, with two separate incidents over the weekend leaving a British soldier dead and a Spanish soldier lightly wounded.
Though termed “insider attacks” recently, at least one of the attacks appears to have had nothing to do with infiltration, as the Afghan soldier who killed the British soldier opened fire as the result of an argument. It is the 12th British soldier killed this year by Afghan security forces.
That incident was in the Nad-e Ali District of Helmand Province, but another shooting happened in Badghis Province, where a pair of Afghan soldiers attacked a NATO outpost, throwing grenades and firing on soldiers.
Badghis Provincial officials insisted that one of the soldiers involved in the attack was “suffering from mental problems” and he was wounded and detained by the NATO troops after the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Say Russian Warplanes Attacked Them - September 25th, 2017
- North Korea Says Trump Has Declared War, US Says No - September 25th, 2017
- Palestinian Authority to Convene in Gaza Amid Reconciliation Push - September 25th, 2017
- Spanish Officials Declare Catalonia Referendum 'Discredited' - September 25th, 2017
- Spain's Attorney General: Catalan President May Face Arrest - September 25th, 2017