Green on blue attacks are still continuing as a major problem in Afghanistan, with two separate incidents over the weekend leaving a British soldier dead and a Spanish soldier lightly wounded.
Though termed “insider attacks” recently, at least one of the attacks appears to have had nothing to do with infiltration, as the Afghan soldier who killed the British soldier opened fire as the result of an argument. It is the 12th British soldier killed this year by Afghan security forces.
That incident was in the Nad-e Ali District of Helmand Province, but another shooting happened in Badghis Province, where a pair of Afghan soldiers attacked a NATO outpost, throwing grenades and firing on soldiers.
Badghis Provincial officials insisted that one of the soldiers involved in the attack was “suffering from mental problems” and he was wounded and detained by the NATO troops after the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018