Insists He Has 'Guts' to Defy US and Start War
Israeli Channel 2’s high profile report on the Israeli government’s quest to start a war with Iran is sparking considerable political debate today, after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reported on the show that Israel “dare not entrust its future” to the United States and that he would start the war even without US permission.
The report included the revelation that Israeli security officials blocked an effort to start such a war in 2010, and asked Netanyahu if he really had the “guts” to defy the US and start such a war. Netanyahu insists he does.
The comments are sparking more criticism of Netanyahu’s bellicosity, with former PM Ehud Olmert noting that US support would be needed for a protracted Israeli war with Iran, and cautioning that Netanyahu should stop “spitting in the face” of the Obama Administration in anticipation of such a need.
Netanyahu went on to dismiss Olmert’s comments as well, insisting that the reality of needing US backing was itself unacceptable and that Israel would “do what’s necessary” to see such a was fought even absent the administration’s blessing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Preparing Charges Against Julian Assange - April 20th, 2017
- Syria Evacuations Resume, Last Rebels Leave Zabadani - April 19th, 2017
- US, Iraq Trying to Quash Coverage of ISIS Chemical Attacks - April 19th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Kills Four 'Suspects' in Central Yemen - April 19th, 2017
- UN Rejects Ukraine's Call to Order Russia to Stop Supporting Rebels - April 19th, 2017