Insists He Has 'Guts' to Defy US and Start War
Israeli Channel 2’s high profile report on the Israeli government’s quest to start a war with Iran is sparking considerable political debate today, after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reported on the show that Israel “dare not entrust its future” to the United States and that he would start the war even without US permission.
The report included the revelation that Israeli security officials blocked an effort to start such a war in 2010, and asked Netanyahu if he really had the “guts” to defy the US and start such a war. Netanyahu insists he does.
The comments are sparking more criticism of Netanyahu’s bellicosity, with former PM Ehud Olmert noting that US support would be needed for a protracted Israeli war with Iran, and cautioning that Netanyahu should stop “spitting in the face” of the Obama Administration in anticipation of such a need.
Netanyahu went on to dismiss Olmert’s comments as well, insisting that the reality of needing US backing was itself unacceptable and that Israel would “do what’s necessary” to see such a was fought even absent the administration’s blessing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- One Soldier Killed, 100 Police Wounded in Clashes Near Ukraine Parliament - August 31st, 2015
- Massive Antiwar Protests in Tokyo Over PM's Attempt to Revamp Military - August 30th, 2015
- Five Killed in Taliban Infighting in Southern Afghanistan - August 30th, 2015
- Netanyahu Claims Israel Fine With Iran Having Civilian Nuclear Program - August 30th, 2015
- ISIS Fighters Seize Part of Syrian Capital of Damascus - August 30th, 2015