Insists He Has 'Guts' to Defy US and Start War
Israeli Channel 2’s high profile report on the Israeli government’s quest to start a war with Iran is sparking considerable political debate today, after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reported on the show that Israel “dare not entrust its future” to the United States and that he would start the war even without US permission.
The report included the revelation that Israeli security officials blocked an effort to start such a war in 2010, and asked Netanyahu if he really had the “guts” to defy the US and start such a war. Netanyahu insists he does.
The comments are sparking more criticism of Netanyahu’s bellicosity, with former PM Ehud Olmert noting that US support would be needed for a protracted Israeli war with Iran, and cautioning that Netanyahu should stop “spitting in the face” of the Obama Administration in anticipation of such a need.
Netanyahu went on to dismiss Olmert’s comments as well, insisting that the reality of needing US backing was itself unacceptable and that Israel would “do what’s necessary” to see such a was fought even absent the administration’s blessing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Hagel: New World Order Means Endless War - October 31st, 2014
- Breakaway East Ukraine Prepares for First Elections - October 31st, 2014
- White House Insists Syria Policy 'Clear' and 'Working' - October 31st, 2014
- Ukraine Militias Warn They'll Launch Coup in Six Months - October 31st, 2014
- Report: Iranians Paying Afghans to Go Fight Against ISIS in Syria - October 31st, 2014