Insists He Has 'Guts' to Defy US and Start War
Israeli Channel 2’s high profile report on the Israeli government’s quest to start a war with Iran is sparking considerable political debate today, after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reported on the show that Israel “dare not entrust its future” to the United States and that he would start the war even without US permission.
The report included the revelation that Israeli security officials blocked an effort to start such a war in 2010, and asked Netanyahu if he really had the “guts” to defy the US and start such a war. Netanyahu insists he does.
The comments are sparking more criticism of Netanyahu’s bellicosity, with former PM Ehud Olmert noting that US support would be needed for a protracted Israeli war with Iran, and cautioning that Netanyahu should stop “spitting in the face” of the Obama Administration in anticipation of such a need.
Netanyahu went on to dismiss Olmert’s comments as well, insisting that the reality of needing US backing was itself unacceptable and that Israel would “do what’s necessary” to see such a was fought even absent the administration’s blessing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strike Kills 13 Civilians in Eastern Afghanistan - September 28th, 2016
- Senate Overwhelmingly Overrides Obama Veto of 9/11 Victims Bill - September 28th, 2016
- Women Leaders Urge UN Chief to End Korean War After 63 Years - September 27th, 2016
- Libyan Unity Govt: No Choice But to Give General a Position of Influence - September 27th, 2016
- Defense Secretary: 9/11 Victims Bill Could Be Devastating to Military - September 27th, 2016