Three suicide car bombers and a barrage of mortar fire tore through a district of central Aleppo currently under the control of the Syrian military. At least 48 people were killed in the attacks, and scores of others were wounded.
The district was not only military-held, but a significant possession, including a military officer’s club. The attack was in the central square near the club, destroying one building and badly damaging several others.
Syrian state media reported that in addition to the bombings that did take place there were three other attackers disguised as soldiers wearing explosive belts who the troops managed to shoot because they could attack.
Exactly which rebel faction was responsible for the attack is unclear. Aleppo has been contested for over a month by various rebel factions, and appears to be stalemated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018