Three suicide car bombers and a barrage of mortar fire tore through a district of central Aleppo currently under the control of the Syrian military. At least 48 people were killed in the attacks, and scores of others were wounded.
The district was not only military-held, but a significant possession, including a military officer’s club. The attack was in the central square near the club, destroying one building and badly damaging several others.
Syrian state media reported that in addition to the bombings that did take place there were three other attackers disguised as soldiers wearing explosive belts who the troops managed to shoot because they could attack.
Exactly which rebel faction was responsible for the attack is unclear. Aleppo has been contested for over a month by various rebel factions, and appears to be stalemated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018