Three suicide car bombers and a barrage of mortar fire tore through a district of central Aleppo currently under the control of the Syrian military. At least 48 people were killed in the attacks, and scores of others were wounded.
The district was not only military-held, but a significant possession, including a military officer’s club. The attack was in the central square near the club, destroying one building and badly damaging several others.
Syrian state media reported that in addition to the bombings that did take place there were three other attackers disguised as soldiers wearing explosive belts who the troops managed to shoot because they could attack.
Exactly which rebel faction was responsible for the attack is unclear. Aleppo has been contested for over a month by various rebel factions, and appears to be stalemated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018