Three suicide car bombers and a barrage of mortar fire tore through a district of central Aleppo currently under the control of the Syrian military. At least 48 people were killed in the attacks, and scores of others were wounded.
The district was not only military-held, but a significant possession, including a military officer’s club. The attack was in the central square near the club, destroying one building and badly damaging several others.
Syrian state media reported that in addition to the bombings that did take place there were three other attackers disguised as soldiers wearing explosive belts who the troops managed to shoot because they could attack.
Exactly which rebel faction was responsible for the attack is unclear. Aleppo has been contested for over a month by various rebel factions, and appears to be stalemated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Warplanes Pound Kurds, Thousands of Syrian Rebels Bused to Border - January 20th, 2018
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018