Three suicide car bombers and a barrage of mortar fire tore through a district of central Aleppo currently under the control of the Syrian military. At least 48 people were killed in the attacks, and scores of others were wounded.
The district was not only military-held, but a significant possession, including a military officer’s club. The attack was in the central square near the club, destroying one building and badly damaging several others.
Syrian state media reported that in addition to the bombings that did take place there were three other attackers disguised as soldiers wearing explosive belts who the troops managed to shoot because they could attack.
Exactly which rebel faction was responsible for the attack is unclear. Aleppo has been contested for over a month by various rebel factions, and appears to be stalemated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Informs US Leaders on Future Air Wars - September 19th, 2017
- Western Nations Clash at UN Over Iran Nuclear Deal - September 19th, 2017
- US May Try to Shoot Down Future North Korean Missile - September 19th, 2017
- Catalonia Mayors Exercise Right to Remain Silent in Referendum Interrogation - September 19th, 2017
- US Bombing Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria at Record Pace - September 19th, 2017