UK-based Syrian rebel mouthpiece The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) is claiming another massive death toll for Wednesday, insisting that more than 300 people were killed in the single day, making it one of the deadliest of the year.
The claim of 300 doesn’t appear to be credibly based on any other reports coming out of the nation, and includes a purported massacre in a Damascus suburb, where “at least 40” people or “as many as 107” were killed.
Casualty figures released by both rebel and regime mouthpieces are almost always “massaged” if not downright fabricated to sell whatever narrative they are pushing at any given time. With virtually no independent media on the ground accurate figures are impossible to come by.
The SOHR is also claiming a “decisive attack” against the nation’s largest city of Aleppo by rebel fighters, quoting a commander as saying that they will have the entire city under their control by the end of today. Since both sides have been predicting imminent victory for over a month and neither seems to be making any serious headway, this claim too is subject to considerable skepticism.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Govt Spurns Houthi Call for Transitional Govt - December 9th, 2018
- Kurds Rush Reinforcements Into East Syria as ISIS Reclaims Town - December 9th, 2018
- Trump Reverses Position, Now Calls for Pentagon Spending to Grow Even More - December 9th, 2018
- Senate Set to Vote on Resolution to End US Involvement in Yemen War - December 9th, 2018
- US Dwarfs Rest of the World in Arms Production - December 9th, 2018