Iranian aerospace commander Brig. Gen. Amir Hajizadeh says that he is concerned with the possible consequences of an Israeli attack on his country, saying it would be “unpredictable” how many nations would enter on either side and could “turn into a World War Three.”
“We cannot imagine the Zionist regime starting a war without America’s support,” Hajizadeh added, saying war with Israel almost certainly would also mean war with the United States.
Hajizadeh also warned that Iran wouldn’t totally rule out “preemptive” strikes against Israel, though Iran would not “start any wars” by itself, saying they would only do so “if it was sure that the enemies are putting the final touches to attack.”
Hajizadeh’s position is likely a defense and not offensive command, so he likely doesn’t have any direct say in launching a strike, but his comments could reflect the sentiment in the Iranian military about the oft-threatened Israeli attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Buildup in Rival Syrian Rebel Factions Threatens Spread of Fighting - July 20th, 2017
- Syrian Rebels Condemn CIA Aid Cut - July 20th, 2017
- Qatar Blockade Cuts Into Saudi-Yemen Alliance - July 20th, 2017
- Doubts About Success of North Korea 'ICBM' Undercut US Sanctions Push - July 20th, 2017
- Ambush Near Damascus Kills 28 Syrian Troops - July 20th, 2017