Iranian aerospace commander Brig. Gen. Amir Hajizadeh says that he is concerned with the possible consequences of an Israeli attack on his country, saying it would be “unpredictable” how many nations would enter on either side and could “turn into a World War Three.”
“We cannot imagine the Zionist regime starting a war without America’s support,” Hajizadeh added, saying war with Israel almost certainly would also mean war with the United States.
Hajizadeh also warned that Iran wouldn’t totally rule out “preemptive” strikes against Israel, though Iran would not “start any wars” by itself, saying they would only do so “if it was sure that the enemies are putting the final touches to attack.”
Hajizadeh’s position is likely a defense and not offensive command, so he likely doesn’t have any direct say in launching a strike, but his comments could reflect the sentiment in the Iranian military about the oft-threatened Israeli attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- France Remains Committed to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 19th, 2018
- Russian FM Slams Calls to Halt Idlib Offensive - February 19th, 2018
- Turkish Officials Hope to Resolve Manbij Issues With Dialogue With US - February 19th, 2018
- Strikes Kill Scores in Syria's Eastern Ghouta in the Past 24 Hours - February 19th, 2018
- Israel Arming at Least Seven Syrian Rebel Groups - February 19th, 2018