Iranian aerospace commander Brig. Gen. Amir Hajizadeh says that he is concerned with the possible consequences of an Israeli attack on his country, saying it would be “unpredictable” how many nations would enter on either side and could “turn into a World War Three.”
“We cannot imagine the Zionist regime starting a war without America’s support,” Hajizadeh added, saying war with Israel almost certainly would also mean war with the United States.
Hajizadeh also warned that Iran wouldn’t totally rule out “preemptive” strikes against Israel, though Iran would not “start any wars” by itself, saying they would only do so “if it was sure that the enemies are putting the final touches to attack.”
Hajizadeh’s position is likely a defense and not offensive command, so he likely doesn’t have any direct say in launching a strike, but his comments could reflect the sentiment in the Iranian military about the oft-threatened Israeli attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017