According to the nation’s state-run news agency, Syrian troops have found a mass grave with 25 dead bodies in the al-Qadam suburb of Damascus. They said the bodies were handcuffed and blindfolded.
The report said that locals had told the troops about the grave, and said they believed the attack was carried out by some rebel faction, which they called an “armed terrorist group” in keeping with their ongoing term for them.
Both regime and rebels have regularly accused one another of massacring civilians in the ongoing Syrian civil war, with such allegations becoming more frequent as the war gets bloodier.
Fighting around the capital of Damascus has mostly taken place in suburbs, with the rebels operating out of Sunni suburbs while trying to consolidate gains across the rest of the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UAE's Military Buildup Faces New Scrutiny Amid Yemen Torture Scandal - June 26th, 2017
- Trump: North Korea Needs to Be 'Dealt With Rapidly' - June 26th, 2017
- Russian, US Diplomats Discuss a New Syria Ceasefire - June 26th, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Unveils $696.5 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 26th, 2017
- Russia Warns Norway that Presence of US Marines 'Destabilizing' Region - June 25th, 2017