Ineffective Leaders, Lack of Discipline Blamed
The latest version of an annual survey of senior enlisted men in the US military find troop morale plummeting and only about 1 in 4 believing that the military is actually heading in the right direction.
The survey cites responses that say the military’s leadership is ineffective at senior levels and focuses on the wrong priorities. The respondents also complained about lack of discipline in the ranks.
The “right direction” question was the real eye-opening, however, as it is the worst result on record for the military. Officials say it is of particular concern as the military goes into a realignment related to budget changes in the next few years.
The huge drop-off in morale at the senior enlisted level may also shed light on the record rate of suicide in the Army as the increase is coming almost entirely from the ranks of long-serving enlisted men. The military sought to blame it on troops having difficulty adjusting to life at home, but today’s study may suggest morale problems are playing a role.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills US Navy SEAL, Overruns Northern Iraq Town - May 3rd, 2016
- FBI Creates South Florida Sting Involving Fake Bomb - May 2nd, 2016
- 11 PKK Fighters Killed in Southeastern Turkey - May 2nd, 2016
- US Tells Pakistan They Can Have F-16s If They Pay for Them - May 2nd, 2016
- US Struggles to Square 'Non-Combat' in Afghanistan With Hospital Bombing - May 2nd, 2016