Ineffective Leaders, Lack of Discipline Blamed
The latest version of an annual survey of senior enlisted men in the US military find troop morale plummeting and only about 1 in 4 believing that the military is actually heading in the right direction.
The survey cites responses that say the military’s leadership is ineffective at senior levels and focuses on the wrong priorities. The respondents also complained about lack of discipline in the ranks.
The “right direction” question was the real eye-opening, however, as it is the worst result on record for the military. Officials say it is of particular concern as the military goes into a realignment related to budget changes in the next few years.
The huge drop-off in morale at the senior enlisted level may also shed light on the record rate of suicide in the Army as the increase is coming almost entirely from the ranks of long-serving enlisted men. The military sought to blame it on troops having difficulty adjusting to life at home, but today’s study may suggest morale problems are playing a role.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 10 Killed in Bombing in Pakistani Shopping District - February 23rd, 2017
- Syria Fighting Continues as UN Talks Get Under Way - February 23rd, 2017
- US Generals Seek Increased Coordination With Russia in Iraq, Syria - February 23rd, 2017
- Iraqi Forces Capture Mosul Airport, Advance Toward City - February 23rd, 2017
- Trump: Deportations Are 'A Military Operation' - February 23rd, 2017