Ineffective Leaders, Lack of Discipline Blamed
The latest version of an annual survey of senior enlisted men in the US military find troop morale plummeting and only about 1 in 4 believing that the military is actually heading in the right direction.
The survey cites responses that say the military’s leadership is ineffective at senior levels and focuses on the wrong priorities. The respondents also complained about lack of discipline in the ranks.
The “right direction” question was the real eye-opening, however, as it is the worst result on record for the military. Officials say it is of particular concern as the military goes into a realignment related to budget changes in the next few years.
The huge drop-off in morale at the senior enlisted level may also shed light on the record rate of suicide in the Army as the increase is coming almost entirely from the ranks of long-serving enlisted men. The military sought to blame it on troops having difficulty adjusting to life at home, but today’s study may suggest morale problems are playing a role.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Launches Offensive Against Syrian Kurdish Border Town - March 11th, 2015
- As Iraq Invades Tikrit, ISIS Moves Against Ramadi - March 11th, 2015
- Defense Secretary: ISIS War Authorization 'Desperately Needed' - March 11th, 2015
- NATO Complains 'EU Army' Would Duplicate Them - March 11th, 2015
- US Sanctions May Save Venezuelan Govt - March 11th, 2015