Ineffective Leaders, Lack of Discipline Blamed
The latest version of an annual survey of senior enlisted men in the US military find troop morale plummeting and only about 1 in 4 believing that the military is actually heading in the right direction.
The survey cites responses that say the military’s leadership is ineffective at senior levels and focuses on the wrong priorities. The respondents also complained about lack of discipline in the ranks.
The “right direction” question was the real eye-opening, however, as it is the worst result on record for the military. Officials say it is of particular concern as the military goes into a realignment related to budget changes in the next few years.
The huge drop-off in morale at the senior enlisted level may also shed light on the record rate of suicide in the Army as the increase is coming almost entirely from the ranks of long-serving enlisted men. The military sought to blame it on troops having difficulty adjusting to life at home, but today’s study may suggest morale problems are playing a role.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- FM: Russia Won't Accept US Terms to End Sanctions - October 20th, 2014
- Egypt Denies Plans to Join US War Against ISIS - October 20th, 2014
- Kobani Kurds Thank US for Arms, Insist They're Not Enough - October 20th, 2014
- Riots in East Jerusalem Neighborhood After Settlers Move In - October 20th, 2014
- Turkey to Allow Peshmerga Fighters to Cross Into Kobani - October 20th, 2014