Ineffective Leaders, Lack of Discipline Blamed
The latest version of an annual survey of senior enlisted men in the US military find troop morale plummeting and only about 1 in 4 believing that the military is actually heading in the right direction.
The survey cites responses that say the military’s leadership is ineffective at senior levels and focuses on the wrong priorities. The respondents also complained about lack of discipline in the ranks.
The “right direction” question was the real eye-opening, however, as it is the worst result on record for the military. Officials say it is of particular concern as the military goes into a realignment related to budget changes in the next few years.
The huge drop-off in morale at the senior enlisted level may also shed light on the record rate of suicide in the Army as the increase is coming almost entirely from the ranks of long-serving enlisted men. The military sought to blame it on troops having difficulty adjusting to life at home, but today’s study may suggest morale problems are playing a role.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Chief Slams Israeli Attacks on Gaza: At Least 828 Palestinians Killed - July 24th, 2014
- Ukraine Accused of Targeting Civilians in East Ukraine Offensive - July 24th, 2014
- Hanging Chads?: Afghan Recount Delayed Over Fraud Definition - July 24th, 2014
- State Dept: Iraqi PM Maliki to Be Ousted Soon - July 24th, 2014
- Foreign Press Complain of 'Intimidation' by Israel During Gaza War - July 24th, 2014