Marking the second “green-on-blue” attack in the past two days, an Afghan soldiers has turned his gun on NATO soldiers, injuring two US soldiers before being killed himself in return fire.
Afghan officials familiar with the incident say that the soldier, who has not been named, was carrying out training missions with the US forces in Faryab Province. There was no indication of an argument before the shooting, but the Taliban claimed credit for it.
Just yesterday, an Afghan policeman attacked and killed three US civilian contractors, who were also involved in a training mission in the Herat Province. An Afghan translator and an unnamed foreign adviser were also wounded.
Such attacks have become increasingly common over the past year, and while a few have involved Taliban “infiltrators” most of them have been the result of arguments or disagreements with the occupation forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017