New York stretches a long way, and the New York Police Department (NYPD) has made something of a nuisance of itself region-wide, conducting covert surveillance against Muslims who live in cities sort of near their jurisdiction. Apparently, its reach extends a lot farther than that.
New secret NYPD documents which Reuters has gotten ahold of suggest the NYPD has made it its business to surveil Iran in general, detailing “plots” they figure Iran was involved with across the planet, including in Tbilisi, New Delhi, Bangkok, and Baku.
That a city police department is putting such effort into studying putative plots on the other side of the planet is somewhat odd, but Reuters having stumbled upon them is timely, since a new plot, in Bulgaria, is being blamed on Iran this week.
Of course, while officials are taking Iran’s guilt in the Bulgaria plot as a matter of course, there doesn’t seem to be any actual evidence to that effect. The other nine “foiled” plots are all called “suspected Iranian plots against Israeli or Jewish targets” but we aren’t being presented with evidence in them either. It is noteworthy, however, that the NYPD’s estimation is only half of Israel’s, as they have blamed Iran for 20 attacks in that span.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018