New York stretches a long way, and the New York Police Department (NYPD) has made something of a nuisance of itself region-wide, conducting covert surveillance against Muslims who live in cities sort of near their jurisdiction. Apparently, its reach extends a lot farther than that.
New secret NYPD documents which Reuters has gotten ahold of suggest the NYPD has made it its business to surveil Iran in general, detailing “plots” they figure Iran was involved with across the planet, including in Tbilisi, New Delhi, Bangkok, and Baku.
That a city police department is putting such effort into studying putative plots on the other side of the planet is somewhat odd, but Reuters having stumbled upon them is timely, since a new plot, in Bulgaria, is being blamed on Iran this week.
Of course, while officials are taking Iran’s guilt in the Bulgaria plot as a matter of course, there doesn’t seem to be any actual evidence to that effect. The other nine “foiled” plots are all called “suspected Iranian plots against Israeli or Jewish targets” but we aren’t being presented with evidence in them either. It is noteworthy, however, that the NYPD’s estimation is only half of Israel’s, as they have blamed Iran for 20 attacks in that span.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017