New York stretches a long way, and the New York Police Department (NYPD) has made something of a nuisance of itself region-wide, conducting covert surveillance against Muslims who live in cities sort of near their jurisdiction. Apparently, its reach extends a lot farther than that.
New secret NYPD documents which Reuters has gotten ahold of suggest the NYPD has made it its business to surveil Iran in general, detailing “plots” they figure Iran was involved with across the planet, including in Tbilisi, New Delhi, Bangkok, and Baku.
That a city police department is putting such effort into studying putative plots on the other side of the planet is somewhat odd, but Reuters having stumbled upon them is timely, since a new plot, in Bulgaria, is being blamed on Iran this week.
Of course, while officials are taking Iran’s guilt in the Bulgaria plot as a matter of course, there doesn’t seem to be any actual evidence to that effect. The other nine “foiled” plots are all called “suspected Iranian plots against Israeli or Jewish targets” but we aren’t being presented with evidence in them either. It is noteworthy, however, that the NYPD’s estimation is only half of Israel’s, as they have blamed Iran for 20 attacks in that span.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018