New York stretches a long way, and the New York Police Department (NYPD) has made something of a nuisance of itself region-wide, conducting covert surveillance against Muslims who live in cities sort of near their jurisdiction. Apparently, its reach extends a lot farther than that.
New secret NYPD documents which Reuters has gotten ahold of suggest the NYPD has made it its business to surveil Iran in general, detailing “plots” they figure Iran was involved with across the planet, including in Tbilisi, New Delhi, Bangkok, and Baku.
That a city police department is putting such effort into studying putative plots on the other side of the planet is somewhat odd, but Reuters having stumbled upon them is timely, since a new plot, in Bulgaria, is being blamed on Iran this week.
Of course, while officials are taking Iran’s guilt in the Bulgaria plot as a matter of course, there doesn’t seem to be any actual evidence to that effect. The other nine “foiled” plots are all called “suspected Iranian plots against Israeli or Jewish targets” but we aren’t being presented with evidence in them either. It is noteworthy, however, that the NYPD’s estimation is only half of Israel’s, as they have blamed Iran for 20 attacks in that span.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017