Several different Syrian rebel factions have marked the past 24 hours in the country as the “deadliest” such span since the civil war began, with one unnamed group putting the toll at 190, with the vast majority of them civilians.
The most serious fighting was reported in Douma, a suburb of Damascus, where bodies lined the streets in what is being called a “massacre by Assad and his secret police.” The suburb alone reportedly saw 50 plus people slain and a large number of others wounded, including some not expected to survive.
Syria’s state media was oddly quiet about the overall death toll, only crowing about the “competent” nature of the crackdown and claiming to have killed “dozens” of terrorists, their catch-all term for all members of the rebel forces.
State media also reported a large amount of weapons seized from rebels, including what they described as “Israeli-made grenades.” Efforts to conflate the rebel forces with Israel and the US have been ongoing for weeks, and if successful could seriously harm their credibility as a domestic rebellion instead of a color-coded Western “revolution.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017