The Egypt-brokered Gaza truce seems already on its last legs just two days in, with Israeli warplanes continuing to pound sites in the strip, killing two people and wounding dozens of others in two separate raids.
Israeli officials confirmed the strikes, saying that the people were planning to launch rockets at southern Israel. Though it does not appear there were any rockets before the attacks, seven rockets did hit Israel after the attacks, doing no damage.
All indications out of Gaza are that Hamas is continuing to uphold the ceasefire, and that it is a Salafist group with ambitions toward being tied to al-Qaeda that is launching the actual rocket attacks.
Israeli Ambassador to the UN Ron Prosor defended the attacks at the UN today, while condemning the rocket fire, saying Israel would ensure that “it will not be quiet in Gaza” so long as the rockets continue.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Rights Group: Many War Crimes Committed in Ghazni Battle - August 15th, 2018
- US to Send More Marines to Norway, Angering Russia - August 15th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Goes Into Effect, Israel Opens Border Crossing to Goods - August 15th, 2018
- Slain Bus Full of Children Raises Questions About US Role in Yemen War - August 15th, 2018
- US Military Spending Bill Could Target al-Jazeera as 'Foreign Agent' - August 15th, 2018