An Afghan soldier has shot and killed and American soldier and an interpreter and wounded three other NATO soldiers in southern Afghanistan today, according to officials. The attack was in the Kandahar Province, and the Afghan soldier attacked from the top of a building against soldiers below.
The attacker, who has not been identified and who US officials would only confirm was “wearing an Afghan Army uniform,” was slain in return fire by a NATO soldiers, and the US says the incident is under investigation.
The cause of the attack was unclear, but this is the 16th confirmed “friendly fire” incident involving Afghan soldiers attacking NATO forces. Some have been Taliban infiltrators, while others were simply angry at the occupation forces for their own reasons.
Elsewhere in the country, three other US soldiers were killed in a bomb attack. Other than being in the eastern part of the country, no details have been released on the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017