Speaking today at the House Armed Services Committee hearing, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta accused China of having provided considerable aid to North Korea’s missile program, including the recent failed attempt to put a satellite in orbit.
Panetta went on to say that there was “no question” that North Korea’s missiles were a threat to the United States, and said that the Chinese government ought to be urging them to engage in “diplomatic negotiations.”
When pressed for details of his allegations by Rep. Michael Turner (R – OH), Panetta refused, insisting that the “sensitivity of that information” made it inappropriate to discuss though not, apparently, to make reference to.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the endless escalations that Panetta yesterday said brings the US “within an inch of war” near every day, the South Korean Defense Ministry announced that it has deployed new cruise missiles capable of hitting “any place” inside North Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Says US 'Action Group' Will Fail to Overthrow Iran - August 19th, 2018
- North Korea Praises Trump, Bashes His Critics - August 19th, 2018
- As Afghan President Announces Ceasefire, Pompeo Says 'Time for Peace' - August 19th, 2018
- Iraq Supreme Court Ratifies Election Results, Sadr Still Leads - August 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Spokesman: US to Stay in Iraq as Long as Needed - August 19th, 2018