Speaking today at the House Armed Services Committee hearing, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta accused China of having provided considerable aid to North Korea’s missile program, including the recent failed attempt to put a satellite in orbit.
Panetta went on to say that there was “no question” that North Korea’s missiles were a threat to the United States, and said that the Chinese government ought to be urging them to engage in “diplomatic negotiations.”
When pressed for details of his allegations by Rep. Michael Turner (R – OH), Panetta refused, insisting that the “sensitivity of that information” made it inappropriate to discuss though not, apparently, to make reference to.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the endless escalations that Panetta yesterday said brings the US “within an inch of war” near every day, the South Korean Defense Ministry announced that it has deployed new cruise missiles capable of hitting “any place” inside North Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018