Taliban militants in Pakistan’s tribal area of North Waziristan have taken credit for the downing of a U.S. drone aircraft after it crashed near the Afghan border on Saturday.
After Taliban militants collected the wreckage of the unmanned aerial vehicle, Pakistani security officials arrived to check the downed drone. The Taliban reportedly kept the wreckage because the Pakistani officials left, hearing more drones over head and wanting to avoid getting attacked.
“We don’t know what caused it to go down. We are investigating,” said a Pakistani official. Drones have crashed on their own before, but there is no way to verify whether or not the militants actually shot it down. The U.S. government declined to comment.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013