Once again bringing into question administration claims that the US is making progress overseas, new data from the Pentagon show a 20% increase in amputations among US troops in 2011 over the previous year. The 240 cases of deployed troops losing at least one arm or leg is the highest since the 9/11 attacks.
US Marines were more than half of the cases, reflecting their increased deployment on the ground in Afghanistan, where IED attacks continue to be a major source of casualties.
The Pentagon, as ever, tried to put a silver lining on the amputation cloud, saying that the number of soldiers losing limbs reflected improvements in medical treatment on the battlefield that made this “the most survivable war in the history of combat.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017