Once again bringing into question administration claims that the US is making progress overseas, new data from the Pentagon show a 20% increase in amputations among US troops in 2011 over the previous year. The 240 cases of deployed troops losing at least one arm or leg is the highest since the 9/11 attacks.
US Marines were more than half of the cases, reflecting their increased deployment on the ground in Afghanistan, where IED attacks continue to be a major source of casualties.
The Pentagon, as ever, tried to put a silver lining on the amputation cloud, saying that the number of soldiers losing limbs reflected improvements in medical treatment on the battlefield that made this “the most survivable war in the history of combat.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018