Given years of Kurdish insurgency inside Turkey and the Turkish military strikes on insurgent territory, Iraq’s Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is an unusual ally for the Turkish government. But in light of KRG’s increasing hostility toward Iraq’s central government and Turkey’s desperation to restore normalcy along its border, circumstances seem to be bringing the two sides together. Economic ties between Iraq’s stable enclave and Turkey are growing, representing a major shift in diplomacy in the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018