A dispute along the border between Pakistani Balochistan and Iran’s Sistan-Balochistan Province seems to be escalating today, with warnings today from Iran that they may close the border entirely to protest the arrest of three of their border guards, captured reportedly for crossing into Pakistan and killing someone.
Pakistani police have said that the thee border guards will be charged with murder for the attack, while Iran has reportedly arrested a number of Pakistani fishermen for crossing the maritime border as well.
Disputes along this border are not unusual, and Iran is particularly aggressive in policing the border for Balochi militant factions like the US-backed Jundallah, which often operate out of Pakistan but launch attacks against targets inside Iran.
The closure could leave Pakistan with almost no open border crossings nationwide, as the border with India is historically closed and Pakistan has blocked the border with Afghanistan to protest the US attack on a pair of Pakistani military bases.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018