A suicide truck bomber targeted a NATO base in the Logar Province of Afghanistan today, killing at least 3 people and wounding 70 others in the Mohammad Agha District.
The attack was driving a truckload of explosives and detonated at the security checkpoint at the southern gate of the base. The explosion destroyed several nearby buildings, including a police station and a government office.
NATO termed the attack a “single attack” and it does not appear that there was the sort of subsequent strike that often accompanies such attacks. There was no indication that any of the casualties were NATO, though a number of Afghan police were wounded.
So far no group has claimed credit for the attack, but it came just days after the Pentagon claimed the capture of a top Haqqani Network leader in the Logar Province’s Pul-e Alam District.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018