Even though he’s been dead for five and a half years, the Kosovar government continues to blame former Serbian ruler Slobodan Milosevic for internal unrest, with a new statement today insisting the nation’s ethnic Serbian minority has the same “mentality” as the late dictator.
Kosovar Serbs make up only about a tenth of the nation’s population, but are the majority in the northern districts. The central government has been tried to curb all trade between the region and neighboring Serbia.
The Serbs have hoped to eventually secede from Kosovo, just as the Kosovar Albanians managed to secede from Serbia (with NATO help), and potentially rejoin Serbia instead of being an undesired underclass inside Kosovo. The Kosovar government has ruled this out, however, as have a number of NATO member nations, which insist Kosovo must remain exactly as it is currently constituted.
Even one ethnic Serbian Kosovo MP condemned his people, insisting that they needed to abandon their opposition to the current regime and warning that those who don’t will face the same ruin as Milosevic.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump-Putin Summit Ends With Talk of Cooperation, Lawmakers Furious - July 16th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018