Even though he’s been dead for five and a half years, the Kosovar government continues to blame former Serbian ruler Slobodan Milosevic for internal unrest, with a new statement today insisting the nation’s ethnic Serbian minority has the same “mentality” as the late dictator.
Kosovar Serbs make up only about a tenth of the nation’s population, but are the majority in the northern districts. The central government has been tried to curb all trade between the region and neighboring Serbia.
The Serbs have hoped to eventually secede from Kosovo, just as the Kosovar Albanians managed to secede from Serbia (with NATO help), and potentially rejoin Serbia instead of being an undesired underclass inside Kosovo. The Kosovar government has ruled this out, however, as have a number of NATO member nations, which insist Kosovo must remain exactly as it is currently constituted.
Even one ethnic Serbian Kosovo MP condemned his people, insisting that they needed to abandon their opposition to the current regime and warning that those who don’t will face the same ruin as Milosevic.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017