Even though he’s been dead for five and a half years, the Kosovar government continues to blame former Serbian ruler Slobodan Milosevic for internal unrest, with a new statement today insisting the nation’s ethnic Serbian minority has the same “mentality” as the late dictator.
Kosovar Serbs make up only about a tenth of the nation’s population, but are the majority in the northern districts. The central government has been tried to curb all trade between the region and neighboring Serbia.
The Serbs have hoped to eventually secede from Kosovo, just as the Kosovar Albanians managed to secede from Serbia (with NATO help), and potentially rejoin Serbia instead of being an undesired underclass inside Kosovo. The Kosovar government has ruled this out, however, as have a number of NATO member nations, which insist Kosovo must remain exactly as it is currently constituted.
Even one ethnic Serbian Kosovo MP condemned his people, insisting that they needed to abandon their opposition to the current regime and warning that those who don’t will face the same ruin as Milosevic.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New Cyberattack Using NSA Exploit Spreads Across the World - June 27th, 2017
- US Attacks ISIS Prison, Killing Dozens of Civilians - June 27th, 2017
- Pentagon, State Dept 'Clueless' on Trump's Assad Allegation - June 27th, 2017
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017