Urges US to Focus on Militants Operating Inside Afghanistan
Pakistani military officials today blasted the US over its focus on the Haqqani Network and accusations of Pakistani government ties to them, saying that it was time for the Obama Administration to stop blaming Pakistan for its problems in occupied Afghanistan.
“Whenever big attacks in Kabul or elsewhere in Afghanistan take place this blame game starts,” one official noted. Indeed, the US has repeatedly dismissed claims of responsibility by Taliban groups inside Afghanistan for recent attacks to blame the Haqqanis.
Instead, officials said, the US should focus on the militants operating inside Afghanistan, noting that many attacks inside Pakistan lately are coming from across the border in Afghanistan.
The Obama Administration’s repeated allegations against Pakistan seemed initially to be aimed at justification of the CIA drone strikes against Pakistani territory. Recent comments suggest it is becoming part of the ongoing US condemnation of Pakistan that has been a common aspect of the US war in Afghanistan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- France: Mali No Longer Our Problem, We'll Intervene in Central African Republic - December 5th, 2013
- Hagel Vows US Will Continue to Intervene in Global Affairs - December 5th, 2013
- Activists Urge US to Be Consistent on Human Rights - December 5th, 2013
- Snowden Docs: Sweden, US Partner in Surveillance Against Russia - December 5th, 2013
- Israel: Palestinians Can Never Have Any Presence at Their Own Borders - December 5th, 2013