In a move brokered by the United Nations the self-proclaimed Somali “transitional” government signed a formal roadmap that will turn their powerless transitional government into an equally powerless official government.
The attempt to create a formal government was being sold as a cure-all by Somali President Ahmed, who vowed to lead Somalis “to prosperity” through the new roadmap, which calls for various “reforms” and sets a number of benchmarks.
Though the benchmarks have “firm deadlines” they don’t appear to be remotely likely to be met, and there seems to be no point to the deal, beyond its call for large amounts of international funding.
But throwing money at Somalia is hardly a new solution, and between money and weapons the West has been trying that since the “transitional” government got kicked out of their Kenya hotel for non-payment and had to try to actually live in Somalia. That and several disastrous international interventions have netted them the opportunity to take the “transitional” off their title, but little else.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018