In a move brokered by the United Nations the self-proclaimed Somali “transitional” government signed a formal roadmap that will turn their powerless transitional government into an equally powerless official government.
The attempt to create a formal government was being sold as a cure-all by Somali President Ahmed, who vowed to lead Somalis “to prosperity” through the new roadmap, which calls for various “reforms” and sets a number of benchmarks.
Though the benchmarks have “firm deadlines” they don’t appear to be remotely likely to be met, and there seems to be no point to the deal, beyond its call for large amounts of international funding.
But throwing money at Somalia is hardly a new solution, and between money and weapons the West has been trying that since the “transitional” government got kicked out of their Kenya hotel for non-payment and had to try to actually live in Somalia. That and several disastrous international interventions have netted them the opportunity to take the “transitional” off their title, but little else.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia, Syria Intensify Airstrikes Against Idlib Province - September 24th, 2017
- Iraq Seeks to Cut Kurdistan Off From World Ahead of Referendum - September 24th, 2017
- Kurdish President Barzani Says Partnership With Iraq Is Over - September 24th, 2017
- Yemen's Hadi Sees Only a Military Solution to Ongoing War - September 24th, 2017
- Trump's First Airstrikes on Libya Kill 17 - September 24th, 2017