A new article in Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz examines how the pro-democracy rallies in Syria are drawing a variety of regional interests toward meddling in the nation, with everyone from Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey having very different ideas on how post-Assad Syria should look. The article warns that, as these conflicting interests intersect the threat grows for a popular uprising to transform into a regional war, with the protesters’ interest in democracy largely being supplanted by international interests in setting up a convenient regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018
- Trump-Putin Summit Ends With Talk of Cooperation, Lawmakers Furious - July 16th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018