A new article in Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz examines how the pro-democracy rallies in Syria are drawing a variety of regional interests toward meddling in the nation, with everyone from Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey having very different ideas on how post-Assad Syria should look. The article warns that, as these conflicting interests intersect the threat grows for a popular uprising to transform into a regional war, with the protesters’ interest in democracy largely being supplanted by international interests in setting up a convenient regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018