A new article in Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz examines how the pro-democracy rallies in Syria are drawing a variety of regional interests toward meddling in the nation, with everyone from Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey having very different ideas on how post-Assad Syria should look. The article warns that, as these conflicting interests intersect the threat grows for a popular uprising to transform into a regional war, with the protesters’ interest in democracy largely being supplanted by international interests in setting up a convenient regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018