A new article in Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz examines how the pro-democracy rallies in Syria are drawing a variety of regional interests toward meddling in the nation, with everyone from Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey having very different ideas on how post-Assad Syria should look. The article warns that, as these conflicting interests intersect the threat grows for a popular uprising to transform into a regional war, with the protesters’ interest in democracy largely being supplanted by international interests in setting up a convenient regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017