US drones and fighters launched an attack today on a police station in Wadyia, a town in the Abyan Province of southern Yemen, killing at least eight people inside. Officials termed the slain “suspected militants.”
The town is one of several towns in Abyan Province which have fallen to a faction calling itself the Ansar al-Sharia, and the people inside the police station are likely to have been loyal to that faction. The slain men were said to have been sleeping inside.
The US has previously launched a number of drona ttacks in Abyan and killed scores of people, but this was the first time US officials were so public in conceding America’s role in an attack.
A second, as yet unconfirmed strike was also reported by officials, with a US drone supposedly targeting a car carrying an al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) official. Locals reported the targeted official survived the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018