They’ve promised such an offensive for over a year now, but reports today are that the Pakistani military is finally poised to launch a full-fledged invasion into North Waziristan Agency, a tribal agency which has long been outside of their control.
The exact timetable of the operation was not announced, but officials said that it would begin with a large number of air strikes. It was also reported that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was informed of this plan after her demand to launch such an offensive on a recent visit.
Which has many convinced that this is more America’s battle than Pakistan’s, and the Zardari government is simply “bowing” to Obama Administration demands for another unnecessary war in their tribal areas.
This belief is not likely to sit well with a public increasingly angered by US unilateralism along the border, and the timing, coming in the wake of another NATO incursion into Pakistani territory, is likely to only make matters worse.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017