The Obama Adminstration angrily warned the Palestinian Authority as well as the United Nations against a new Security Council resolution which would criticize Israel for its massive expansion of settlements on occupied Palestinian land.
The US insisted the move would “complicate” peace talks between Israel and the PA, though with the talks entirely stalled for months on end that seems to be only a minor concern for many. The US was mum on the prospect of a veto, however.
Though the US traditionally vetos anything which even resembles criticism of Israel the resolution was deliberately worded to explicitly parrot US comments regarding the settlements, and it would be even more hypocritical than usual for the Obama Administration to veto it.
A number of US Senators have written a letter demanding the veto all the same, however, insisting that the efforts to criticize the illegal settlements proves the Palestinians want to “dictate terms to Israel.“
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018