Long-standing Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) official Yasser Abed Rabbo today said the group would be willing to recognize Israel as a “Jewish State” or indeed as whatever it wants provided they are presented with a map of the future Palestinian state that includes all territory seized by Israel in their 1967 invasion.
A map of Israel based on its 1967 borders and not including the occupied territories or occupied East Jerusalem would, according to Rabbo, mean “we will be willing to recognize Israel according to the formulation of the government within the hour.”
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas had previously rejected the Israeli offer to trade the recognition for a 60 day partial freeze in expansion of settlements into the West Bank, but it seems the recognition is possible, albeit at a price Israel is unlikely to pay.
“Any formulation the Americans present – even asking us to cal lsrael the “Chinese State” – we will agree to it as long as we receive the 1967 borders,” insisted Rabbo.
Yet the offer points to what is likely the unspoken reality, that both sides have given up on the latest round of talks and are now just making offers “meant to be rejected” so they can blame the other side for the failure. Still if both sides keep trying to trump the other with elaborate offers they might just stumble into agreement somewhere down the road.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US to Cut Some Somali Military Aid Over Misuse, Corruption - December 17th, 2017
- Sistani: Shi'ite Militias Should Remain as Part of Iraq's Security Services - December 17th, 2017
- Mounting Tensions Drive Arms Sales to Multi-Decade High - December 17th, 2017
- US Commandos Participate in Thousands of Afghan Ground Operations - December 17th, 2017
- Israeli Crackdowns, Arrests Fail to Stop Jerusalem Protests - December 17th, 2017