Pakistan’s military is facing growing international concern over the harsh tactics used in its various US-demanded military offensives against tribal areas, after a video emerged today showing soldiers executing six blindfolded civilians in the Swat Valley.
The video is said to particularly be causing tension with the US military, though that tension was obviously already on the rise after NATO helicopters attacked a Pakistani base earlier in the day, killing three soldiers.
US officials say that the video appeared to be authentic, and that there are “things you can’t fake” in the video, which was released by a group called Pashtuns International Association.
Pakistan’s military spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas, insisted that the video was part of a “propaganda campaign” against the nation’s army, but it is hardly the first time the military’s dicey human rights record has come into question. It is just the first time the video evidence has been staring everyone in the face.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018