A deadly spate of attacks across Afghanistan killed at least 22 US soldiers in the past four days, bringing the overall toll to 322 American troops killed so far in 2010, making it already the deadliest year yet.
The deaths have now edged the number of deaths for all of 2009 (317), which was itself more than twice the number of American deaths in any previous year. With some four months left the 2010 toll seems to be spiraling out of control.
The latest 22 deaths were scattered across the nation, with the more recent deaths coming in the far eastern portion of the nation. Others were reported killed in Helmand and Kandahar.
Officials are also predicting that the rate of violence will continue to increase in the weeks ahead, as the Afghan parliamentary elections near. A number of attacks against campaigners have already been reported, and at least one candidate was reported assassinated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017