A deadly spate of attacks across Afghanistan killed at least 22 US soldiers in the past four days, bringing the overall toll to 322 American troops killed so far in 2010, making it already the deadliest year yet.
The deaths have now edged the number of deaths for all of 2009 (317), which was itself more than twice the number of American deaths in any previous year. With some four months left the 2010 toll seems to be spiraling out of control.
The latest 22 deaths were scattered across the nation, with the more recent deaths coming in the far eastern portion of the nation. Others were reported killed in Helmand and Kandahar.
Officials are also predicting that the rate of violence will continue to increase in the weeks ahead, as the Afghan parliamentary elections near. A number of attacks against campaigners have already been reported, and at least one candidate was reported assassinated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018