In an interview with the Guardian today, former Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz slammed President Obama’s Iraq “drawdown” strategy, declaring “Obama is a hypocrite. He is leaving Iraq to the wolves.”
Still in prison over seven years after the US invasion, Aziz maintained he was not responsible for any of the crimes of the previous government, insisting he did everything possible for his government and was only “guilty by association.”
Aziz remained critical of the Bush Administration’s invasion, insisting it was primarily aimed at deterring Iran, but said his hopes that President Obama would change the policy markedly had led to disappointment.
Aziz is currently about half way through a 15 year prison term, but is facing other possible charges and as one of the top ranking living Ba’athists it seems unlikely the Iraqi government, unless it makes a dramatic shift, will ever allow him to go free.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017