In an interview with the Guardian today, former Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz slammed President Obama’s Iraq “drawdown” strategy, declaring “Obama is a hypocrite. He is leaving Iraq to the wolves.”
Still in prison over seven years after the US invasion, Aziz maintained he was not responsible for any of the crimes of the previous government, insisting he did everything possible for his government and was only “guilty by association.”
Aziz remained critical of the Bush Administration’s invasion, insisting it was primarily aimed at deterring Iran, but said his hopes that President Obama would change the policy markedly had led to disappointment.
Aziz is currently about half way through a 15 year prison term, but is facing other possible charges and as one of the top ranking living Ba’athists it seems unlikely the Iraqi government, unless it makes a dramatic shift, will ever allow him to go free.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017