The Obama Administration has threatened to end billions of dollars in American aid to Pakistan if the Zardari government does not do something about claims that the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) Agency has been backing the Taliban.
Perhaps the most fascinating part of this is that the threat seems to be the first fallout from the WikiLeaks release of some 92,000 Afghan War related US documents.
Yet these documents were all between 1-6 years old, and while the leak was new the public it cannot have possibly been new for the Obama Adminstration. Officials must surely have been aware of all of this evidence over the past weeks, as they arrived in Pakistan to pledge large increases in aid.
Afghan officials for their part condemned Pakistan, though the ISI itself angrily shot back that the US allegations were “mostly from Afghan intelligence, so you can imagine their credibility.” The US documents detail a number of alleged ISI plots, including a claimed plot to poison all the beer in Afghanistan to kill Western troops.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017
- Oil Firm Sees Congressional Vote on Iran Deal as Potential Positive - October 18th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrike Kills Six Civilians, Mostly Children, in North Yemen - October 18th, 2017
- Kurdish Independence at Risk Amid Iraqi Offensive - October 18th, 2017
- Catalonia Will Declare Independence If Spain Suspends Autonomy - October 18th, 2017