In a move they claim was aimed at protesting detentions by Israeli police, residents of the Yitzhar settlement in the West Bank attacked a nearby Palestinian village.
Though there do not appear to have been major casualties in the attack, settlers did considerable property damage to some homes, as they hurled rocks through windows. The Palestinians inside called for help, but it does not appear that the police responded until after the settlers already left.
In the aftermath, the Israeli police were said to have arrested four more settlers on unspecified “disturbances,” and all were released shortly thereafter.
The settlement has been at the center of the so-called “price tag” controversy, in which the settlers vowed to make Palestinians pay for any moves by the Netanyahu government to curb the growth of settlements.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018