Yesterday, the US State Department summoned a top Syrian diplomat to publicly complain about the “provocative behavior” that Syria had taken in supplying Scud missiles to Hezbollah, a claim made by Israel last week.
Today, the State Department somewhat sheepishly admitted that while they are “still looking into it” they aren’t really sure if Syria provided the Lebanese militia with any such thing in the first place.
In February the Obama Administration had decided to make a huge move toward Syria rapprochement in appointing the first ambassador to the nation in over five years. Now they’re delaying sending that envoy and publicly lashing Syria, while at the same time admitting that they haven’t even confirmed the allegations yet.
The story seems remarkably predictable with the Obama Administration, which seems forever stuck between selling the idea that it is pro-diplomacy to its European allies while constantly promising not to let the diplomacy amount to much of anything. Never has a US State Department been so determined to accomplish so little in such a convoluted manner.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017