This story has been superseded by this story.
The results of the Iraqi election are in, more or less, but exactly what happened and who won depends on who is speaking at the moment. Agence France Presse (AFP) is reporting that the secular Iraqiya bloc of Ayad Allawi has claimed a two seat victory over the State of Law bloc.
Making matters even more confusing, Prime Minister Maliki is said to have issued a statement declaring victory and assuring that his State of Law bloc would form the next government. He also claimed that the election results released today were “not final.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas: Campaign for Jerusalem Has Begun - July 23rd, 2017
- US Coalition Sees a 'Lot More' to Do in Syria After Raqqa - July 23rd, 2017
- US Likely to Get Dragged Into Any Kurdish Conflict With Assad - July 23rd, 2017
- Iran and Iraq Sign New Military Cooperation Deal - July 23rd, 2017
- Ceasefire Announced in Damascus Suburb of Eastern Ghouta - July 23rd, 2017