This story has been superseded by this story.
The results of the Iraqi election are in, more or less, but exactly what happened and who won depends on who is speaking at the moment. Agence France Presse (AFP) is reporting that the secular Iraqiya bloc of Ayad Allawi has claimed a two seat victory over the State of Law bloc.
Making matters even more confusing, Prime Minister Maliki is said to have issued a statement declaring victory and assuring that his State of Law bloc would form the next government. He also claimed that the election results released today were “not final.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After Detour, Lebanon PM Finally Returns Home - November 21st, 2017
- UN 'Horrified' by Libya Slave Auctions - November 20th, 2017
- Israeli Energy Minister Confirms Covert Ties With Saudi Govt - November 20th, 2017
- US Sanctions European Companies Over Iran 'Counterfeiting Scheme' - November 20th, 2017
- US Airstrikes Target Taliban Opium Labs - November 20th, 2017