This story has been superseded by this story.
The results of the Iraqi election are in, more or less, but exactly what happened and who won depends on who is speaking at the moment. Agence France Presse (AFP) is reporting that the secular Iraqiya bloc of Ayad Allawi has claimed a two seat victory over the State of Law bloc.
Making matters even more confusing, Prime Minister Maliki is said to have issued a statement declaring victory and assuring that his State of Law bloc would form the next government. He also claimed that the election results released today were “not final.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018