This story has been superseded by this story.
The results of the Iraqi election are in, more or less, but exactly what happened and who won depends on who is speaking at the moment. Agence France Presse (AFP) is reporting that the secular Iraqiya bloc of Ayad Allawi has claimed a two seat victory over the State of Law bloc.
Making matters even more confusing, Prime Minister Maliki is said to have issued a statement declaring victory and assuring that his State of Law bloc would form the next government. He also claimed that the election results released today were “not final.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrikes Killed 433 Civilians in Raqqa in August - September 20th, 2017
- 51 Countries Ratify UN Nuclear Weapons Ban - September 20th, 2017
- Russia Says 850 Nusra Fighters Killed in North Syria in 24 Hours - September 20th, 2017
- Spanish Police Step Up Catalonia Raids to Try to Block Referendum - September 20th, 2017
- US Allies Split on Trump's Threat to Destroy North Korea - September 20th, 2017