This story has been superseded by this story.
The results of the Iraqi election are in, more or less, but exactly what happened and who won depends on who is speaking at the moment. Agence France Presse (AFP) is reporting that the secular Iraqiya bloc of Ayad Allawi has claimed a two seat victory over the State of Law bloc.
Making matters even more confusing, Prime Minister Maliki is said to have issued a statement declaring victory and assuring that his State of Law bloc would form the next government. He also claimed that the election results released today were “not final.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018