Second Attack on Police in as Many Days
At least 15 people were killed today and dozens of others wounded when a pair of suicide bombers attacked a police complex in Bannu district, Northwest Frontier Province. At least nine of the dead have been identified as police.
Officials say that the death toll could continue to rise as many people remain in serious condition, and some of the slain had yet to be identified. So far no one has taken credit for the attacks.
The attack comes just a day after a separate attack in the Khyber Agency killed 19 people. In that case as well, most of the slain were members of the Pakistani police, and likewise no one took credit for the strike.
The growing use of suicide attacks against police targets outside of the specific combat zones inside Pakistan will likely be cause for concern for officials, as speculation grows that the offensives in Swat Valley and Waziristan failed to accomplish anything but scattering the militants throughout the nation and giving them an ax to grind against the government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed as Missiles Hit East Ukraine Port City - January 24th, 2015
- US Terror Operations in Yemen 'Paralyzed' by Rebel Takeover - January 23rd, 2015
- US Officials on Netanyahu Visit: There Will Be a Price - January 23rd, 2015
- Pentagon Advocates Drone 'Wolf Packs': A Step Toward Killer AI? - January 23rd, 2015
- Iran FM: US Sanctions Vote Would Kill Nuclear Deal - January 23rd, 2015