Kai Eide Met 'Quetta Shura' in Secret Dubai Talks
UN officials are claiming that outgoing UN Special Representative for Afghanistan Kai Eide was in Dubai January 8 to hold a secret meeting with the so-called Quetta Shura, a leadership council of members of the Afghan Taliban.
Eide refused to comment on whether or not the meeting took place, and so far the Afghan Taliban haven’t confirmed it either. Never the less, it seems this meeting is what spurred the sudden talk of reconciliation with the Taliban.
It does raise questions, however, of why the Taliban are so quick to dismiss the talk of the “buyout” plan. Moreover, Afghanistan has had a history of engaging in “talks” with people who weren’t authorized to negotiate for the actual Taliban leadership.
The Afghan government has also promised to convene a massive tribal jirga, inviting the Taliban to enter into direct talks with them. While international officials expressed hope that the Taliban would join into the talks (with hundreds of millions of dollars in funding from the London Conference), it remains to be seen if this will actually happen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Libya Ousts PM After Rebel Oil Tanker Escapes - March 11th, 2014
- Libya Rebels Deny Reports Oil Tanker Was Captured by Navy - March 10th, 2014
- Russia to Offer Ukraine 'Counterproposals' - March 10th, 2014
- Ukraine MP: Nation Needs New Nuclear Weapons Arsenal - March 10th, 2014
- Cameron Willing to Damage London Economy to 'Punish Putin' - March 10th, 2014