Fresh off of yesterday’s announcement that some 700 French soldiers were marching into the Tagab Valley to try to seize control over it away from the Taliban, the militants have struck.
A pair of rockets were fired against a meeting being held between a local tribal shura and French Brigadier General Marcel Druart. Gen. Druart was not hurt, but at least 12 civilians were killed and another 38 wounded.
French officials say that despite the killings, the meeting continued, and Gen. Druart says the Taliban will not be allowed to disrupt his plans for the restive valley.
The region is not far from the valley in which 10 French soldiers were slain last year. Not far from Kabul, the Kapisa Province remains well outside of NATO control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018
- Trump Gives Saudi Arabia Benefit of Doubt in Journalist's Disappearance - October 16th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 60 Alleged al-Shabaab Fighters in Somalia, Officials Say - October 16th, 2018
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018