Fresh off of yesterday’s announcement that some 700 French soldiers were marching into the Tagab Valley to try to seize control over it away from the Taliban, the militants have struck.
A pair of rockets were fired against a meeting being held between a local tribal shura and French Brigadier General Marcel Druart. Gen. Druart was not hurt, but at least 12 civilians were killed and another 38 wounded.
French officials say that despite the killings, the meeting continued, and Gen. Druart says the Taliban will not be allowed to disrupt his plans for the restive valley.
The region is not far from the valley in which 10 French soldiers were slain last year. Not far from Kabul, the Kapisa Province remains well outside of NATO control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017