Fresh off of yesterday’s announcement that some 700 French soldiers were marching into the Tagab Valley to try to seize control over it away from the Taliban, the militants have struck.
A pair of rockets were fired against a meeting being held between a local tribal shura and French Brigadier General Marcel Druart. Gen. Druart was not hurt, but at least 12 civilians were killed and another 38 wounded.
French officials say that despite the killings, the meeting continued, and Gen. Druart says the Taliban will not be allowed to disrupt his plans for the restive valley.
The region is not far from the valley in which 10 French soldiers were slain last year. Not far from Kabul, the Kapisa Province remains well outside of NATO control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 100 Syrian Civilians in Raqqa in 48 Hours - August 22nd, 2017
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017