Speaking today in the US, Syrian Ambassador Imad Moustapha denied repeated US and Iraqi accusations that his government is assisting insurgents to launch attacks against Iraq.
Gen. Ray Odierno has accused Syria of “facilitating” the insurgencies in Iraq and, incredibly enough, in Afghanistan. Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has blamed the Syrian government for major attacks in the country, and the Iraqi government broadcast a confession from an “al-Qaeda” operative who accused the Syrian government of operating al-Qaeda camps.
The US allegations have been speeding up in recent weeks, however, and tensions appear to be nearing the level they were in late 2008, when the US launched an attack on a Syrian town then insisted Syria had been “relatively good” on border security.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017