With PA President Mahmoud Abbas poised to resign, Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) legislators are reportedly set to discuss dissolving the Palestinian Authority entirely, ending the 1993 peace process and the limited self governance enjoyed by the PA in portions of the West Bank.
The move would have enormous ramifications, but with Israel having repeatedly threatened to abandon the peace process and the US having backed off all of its demands regarding Israel’s settlements, it underscores how little hope the PLO has for the diplomatic process.
At the same time, Fatah would seem to gain little from such a move, and the threat is likely more aimed at pressuring the US to return to its summer position, when it was demanding Israel halt all settlement growth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Philippine Police Conduct Door-to-Door Drug Tests in Manila's Poor Neighborhoods - August 23rd, 2017
- Lockheed, Raytheon Get Contracts for New Nuclear Cruise Missile - August 23rd, 2017
- 16 Years Into War, Taliban's Presence Across Afghanistan Growing - August 23rd, 2017
- Yemen's Houthis Ban Political Activity Ahead of Planned Capital Rally - August 23rd, 2017
- US Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than Official Figure - August 23rd, 2017