With PA President Mahmoud Abbas poised to resign, Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) legislators are reportedly set to discuss dissolving the Palestinian Authority entirely, ending the 1993 peace process and the limited self governance enjoyed by the PA in portions of the West Bank.
The move would have enormous ramifications, but with Israel having repeatedly threatened to abandon the peace process and the US having backed off all of its demands regarding Israel’s settlements, it underscores how little hope the PLO has for the diplomatic process.
At the same time, Fatah would seem to gain little from such a move, and the threat is likely more aimed at pressuring the US to return to its summer position, when it was demanding Israel halt all settlement growth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Warn Malistan District on the Verge of Collapse - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Overrun West Afghanistan District, Killing 37 Police and Civilians - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, as 'Safe' District Is Falling - November 12th, 2018
- North Korea Warns US-South Korea Drills Violate Agreement - November 12th, 2018
- IAEA Report Shows Iran Continues to Honor Nuclear Deal - November 12th, 2018