With PA President Mahmoud Abbas poised to resign, Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) legislators are reportedly set to discuss dissolving the Palestinian Authority entirely, ending the 1993 peace process and the limited self governance enjoyed by the PA in portions of the West Bank.
The move would have enormous ramifications, but with Israel having repeatedly threatened to abandon the peace process and the US having backed off all of its demands regarding Israel’s settlements, it underscores how little hope the PLO has for the diplomatic process.
At the same time, Fatah would seem to gain little from such a move, and the threat is likely more aimed at pressuring the US to return to its summer position, when it was demanding Israel halt all settlement growth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Signs Bill Renewing Warrantless NSA Surveillance - January 19th, 2018
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018