With PA President Mahmoud Abbas poised to resign, Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) legislators are reportedly set to discuss dissolving the Palestinian Authority entirely, ending the 1993 peace process and the limited self governance enjoyed by the PA in portions of the West Bank.
The move would have enormous ramifications, but with Israel having repeatedly threatened to abandon the peace process and the US having backed off all of its demands regarding Israel’s settlements, it underscores how little hope the PLO has for the diplomatic process.
At the same time, Fatah would seem to gain little from such a move, and the threat is likely more aimed at pressuring the US to return to its summer position, when it was demanding Israel halt all settlement growth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalonia Threatens Civil Disobedience as Spain Prepares Takeover - October 23rd, 2017
- Senators 'Stunned' to Learn US Has 1,000 Troops in Niger - October 23rd, 2017
- US to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert - October 23rd, 2017
- Niger Mayor: Villagers Suspected of Helping in Ambush of US Troops - October 23rd, 2017
- Iraqi Troops Build Up Near Key Kurdish Oil Export Pipeline - October 23rd, 2017