With PA President Mahmoud Abbas poised to resign, Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) legislators are reportedly set to discuss dissolving the Palestinian Authority entirely, ending the 1993 peace process and the limited self governance enjoyed by the PA in portions of the West Bank.
The move would have enormous ramifications, but with Israel having repeatedly threatened to abandon the peace process and the US having backed off all of its demands regarding Israel’s settlements, it underscores how little hope the PLO has for the diplomatic process.
At the same time, Fatah would seem to gain little from such a move, and the threat is likely more aimed at pressuring the US to return to its summer position, when it was demanding Israel halt all settlement growth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018