McClatchy Newspapers is reporting tonight that the United States has been secretly drafting an “Afghan Compact” full of reforms and anti-corruption measures that the Obama Administration will press Karzai to implement.
The document will reportedly urge the Afghan government to crack down on corruption and will call for the replacement of ministers seen by the US as “ineffective.”
Several European diplomats have been talking about holding a conference among all the nations involved in occupying Afghanistan to draft a compact as well, but
it was not readily apparent if any of those nations were involved in this move, or if that is a second effort still forthcoming.
President Karzai has insisted that he will crack down on corruption now that the election is over, but he has made similar promises in the past. The decidedly corrupt election process that eventually put Karzai in power likewise suggests that he will struggle to credibly tackle the issue.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Saudis Dismembered Journalist While He Was Still Alive, Audio Recording Shows - October 17th, 2018
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018