Officials reported ‘intense bombardment’ of the South Waziristan Agency by Pakistan’s military, as General Parvez Kayani vowed to cleanse the area of people with an “anti-state agenda.”
Pakistan’s military insists the offensive is going extremely well, though so far they have only managed to capture one hilltop and a tiny village, and the village took over a week of non-stop fighting to gain control over.
Officials say they estimate that the conflict will only take another six to eight weeks, but concede that the offensive is open-ended. If past examples are any indication, it will likely go on well beyond the projected end date.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017