Officials reported ‘intense bombardment’ of the South Waziristan Agency by Pakistan’s military, as General Parvez Kayani vowed to cleanse the area of people with an “anti-state agenda.”
Pakistan’s military insists the offensive is going extremely well, though so far they have only managed to capture one hilltop and a tiny village, and the village took over a week of non-stop fighting to gain control over.
Officials say they estimate that the conflict will only take another six to eight weeks, but concede that the offensive is open-ended. If past examples are any indication, it will likely go on well beyond the projected end date.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017