Israel’s hawkish Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has sought to reassure people today that hawkishness will not be going out of fashion, as he attacked those expressing hope for a peace deal in the near term and insisted there was absolutely “no chance” of that happening.
Lieberman’s Yisrael Beiteinu Party has been firmly against the peace process for years, insisting that peace is impossible with the Palestinians and that security and stability could be attained while continuing a perpetual but low level conflict with the Palestinians.
The platform won Yisrael Beiteinu a significant role in Israel’s coalition government, and Lieberman says he will make it clear in talks with US envoy George Mitchell that he doesn’t believe in a comprehensive peace deal. His advice to Israelis is to “learn to live with it.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017