Israel’s hawkish Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has sought to reassure people today that hawkishness will not be going out of fashion, as he attacked those expressing hope for a peace deal in the near term and insisted there was absolutely “no chance” of that happening.
Lieberman’s Yisrael Beiteinu Party has been firmly against the peace process for years, insisting that peace is impossible with the Palestinians and that security and stability could be attained while continuing a perpetual but low level conflict with the Palestinians.
The platform won Yisrael Beiteinu a significant role in Israel’s coalition government, and Lieberman says he will make it clear in talks with US envoy George Mitchell that he doesn’t believe in a comprehensive peace deal. His advice to Israelis is to “learn to live with it.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles With Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds, Two Key Allies - January 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Attack on Syrian Kurds - January 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Kurds May Send Reinforcements to Afrin to Fight Turkey - January 22nd, 2018
- Facebook Will Use Surveys to Decide What Is 'Trustworthy' News - January 22nd, 2018
- Pence Praises 'the Miracle of Israel,' Pledges Embassy Move in 2019 - January 22nd, 2018