A US drone fired a missile this morning at a TTP compound in the Orakzai Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan. 14 people were killed in the attack, at least six of whom were fighters loyal to Hakimullah Mehsud, a local leader. 13 others were wounded.
The attack comes just one day after TTP leader Baitullah Mehsud took responsibility for the Monday attack in Lahore, saying it was retaliation for previous US drone strikes against his compounds in North and South Waziristan. Mehsud promised more attacks against Pakistan in the next few days, as well as a massive attack against the United States “that will amaze everyone in the world.”
Today’s attack is one of the few American attacks that has occurred outside of the immediate vicinity of the North and South Waziristan Agencies. Orakzai has seen growing TTP influence in recent months, and its proximity to Khyber Agency makes it a serious threat to America’s ability to ship weapons and other supplies across Pakistan to Afghanistan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Say 60 Taliban Killed in Ghazni Airstrike - November 14th, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills Seven Civilians in Yemen's Hodeidah - November 14th, 2018
- EU Struggles to Find Host for Iran Trade Clearing House - November 14th, 2018
- Israeli Coalition on Brink of Collapse as Hawks Rage Over Gaza Ceasefire - November 14th, 2018
- Congressional Report Warns US Might Lose a War Against China or Russia - November 14th, 2018