A US drone fired a missile this morning at a TTP compound in the Orakzai Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan. 14 people were killed in the attack, at least six of whom were fighters loyal to Hakimullah Mehsud, a local leader. 13 others were wounded.
The attack comes just one day after TTP leader Baitullah Mehsud took responsibility for the Monday attack in Lahore, saying it was retaliation for previous US drone strikes against his compounds in North and South Waziristan. Mehsud promised more attacks against Pakistan in the next few days, as well as a massive attack against the United States “that will amaze everyone in the world.”
Today’s attack is one of the few American attacks that has occurred outside of the immediate vicinity of the North and South Waziristan Agencies. Orakzai has seen growing TTP influence in recent months, and its proximity to Khyber Agency makes it a serious threat to America’s ability to ship weapons and other supplies across Pakistan to Afghanistan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Rights Group: Many War Crimes Committed in Ghazni Battle - August 15th, 2018
- US to Send More Marines to Norway, Angering Russia - August 15th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Goes Into Effect, Israel Opens Border Crossing to Goods - August 15th, 2018
- Slain Bus Full of Children Raises Questions About US Role in Yemen War - August 15th, 2018
- US Military Spending Bill Could Target al-Jazeera as 'Foreign Agent' - August 15th, 2018