Updated 3/1/09 6:45 PM EST
Pakistani intelligence officials confirmed today that the missile attacks on a house in Sararogha, South Waziristan Agency came from a US drone. Joint Chiefs chairman Admiral Michael Mullen declined to comment on the specifics of the operation but said that the military has been “carrying out guidance from President Obama” in the region.
At least 12 people were killed and three others injured. Officials said at least some of those killed were foreign militants, but others said all the casualties were local tribesmen. Police are promising an investigation but have not disclosed the identities of those killed.
Since President Obama took office the number and severity of the drone strikes on Pakistani territory have increased dramatically. Though the Pakistani government has continued to publicly complain about the attacks, mounting evidence suggests they have been providing direct backing to them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bomb Hits Afghanistan, 34 Dead, 60 Wounded - June 22nd, 2017
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017