Updated 3/1/09 6:45 PM EST
Pakistani intelligence officials confirmed today that the missile attacks on a house in Sararogha, South Waziristan Agency came from a US drone. Joint Chiefs chairman Admiral Michael Mullen declined to comment on the specifics of the operation but said that the military has been “carrying out guidance from President Obama” in the region.
At least 12 people were killed and three others injured. Officials said at least some of those killed were foreign militants, but others said all the casualties were local tribesmen. Police are promising an investigation but have not disclosed the identities of those killed.
Since President Obama took office the number and severity of the drone strikes on Pakistani territory have increased dramatically. Though the Pakistani government has continued to publicly complain about the attacks, mounting evidence suggests they have been providing direct backing to them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Sinai Mosque, at Least 235 Killed - November 24th, 2017
- Afghan Farmers: US Airstrikes on Opium Labs Won't Work - November 23rd, 2017
- Ousted Catalan Ruling Party Backs Off Independence, Seeks Talks - November 23rd, 2017
- Report: Trump Revealed Israeli Operation in Syria to Russian Envoy - November 23rd, 2017
- Calm Returns to Luhansk as Enclave's President Flees to Moscow - November 23rd, 2017