Its been a month since Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh declared that the Pakistani government “must have” offered some support to the Mumbai attackers… increasing tensions between the two nations and sparking fears of a war.
Now the government is taking the rhetoric to another level, as Indian Foreign Minister Shivshankar Menon declared that the organizers of the Mumbai attack “were and remain clients and creations of the ISI.”
The ISI, Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence agency, is the largest of several Pakistani military intelligence agencies which enjoy a large degree of autonomy, has been a favorite whipping boy of both the Indian and US governments, and is regularly accused of involvement in terrorist activity.
Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit cautioned that “one should not jump the gun. Some patience should be shown.” Pakistan received evidence from the Indian government for its ongoing investigation into the Mumbai attack, but insisted that it was “flimsy” and “fabricated.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018