Its been a month since Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh declared that the Pakistani government “must have” offered some support to the Mumbai attackers… increasing tensions between the two nations and sparking fears of a war.
Now the government is taking the rhetoric to another level, as Indian Foreign Minister Shivshankar Menon declared that the organizers of the Mumbai attack “were and remain clients and creations of the ISI.”
The ISI, Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence agency, is the largest of several Pakistani military intelligence agencies which enjoy a large degree of autonomy, has been a favorite whipping boy of both the Indian and US governments, and is regularly accused of involvement in terrorist activity.
Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit cautioned that “one should not jump the gun. Some patience should be shown.” Pakistan received evidence from the Indian government for its ongoing investigation into the Mumbai attack, but insisted that it was “flimsy” and “fabricated.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017