Pakistani fighter planes and helicopter gunships attacked multiple locations suspected of being militant hideouts in Mohmand Agency today, with military officials saying “25 to 30 militants were killed and many wounded” in the attacks. Other sources however said that at least seven civilians were among those killed in the multi-hour spate of bombings.
Pakistan’s military has engaged in offensive moves against Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants in Mohmand in recent weeks, with the fighting spilling over from neighboring Bajaur. The military has demanded that tribesmen in the border agency fight against the TTP themselves, or if they are unwilling, to leave their homes.
To that end, one Mohmand jirga is reported to have handed over seven “wanted” persons to the government authorities. However they also demanded that the government not target civilian populations during the offensive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018