Pakistani fighter planes and helicopter gunships attacked multiple locations suspected of being militant hideouts in Mohmand Agency today, with military officials saying “25 to 30 militants were killed and many wounded” in the attacks. Other sources however said that at least seven civilians were among those killed in the multi-hour spate of bombings.
Pakistan’s military has engaged in offensive moves against Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants in Mohmand in recent weeks, with the fighting spilling over from neighboring Bajaur. The military has demanded that tribesmen in the border agency fight against the TTP themselves, or if they are unwilling, to leave their homes.
To that end, one Mohmand jirga is reported to have handed over seven “wanted” persons to the government authorities. However they also demanded that the government not target civilian populations during the offensive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Say Russian Warplanes Attacked Them - September 25th, 2017
- North Korea Says Trump Has Declared War, US Says No - September 25th, 2017
- Palestinian Authority to Convene in Gaza Amid Reconciliation Push - September 25th, 2017
- Spanish Officials Declare Catalonia Referendum 'Discredited' - September 25th, 2017
- Spain's Attorney General: Catalan President May Face Arrest - September 25th, 2017